Monday, July 19, 2010

Day One

Blog: Day One

The mission: repair (re-shingle) a roof, sheetrock a ceiling, and fill with insulation. Wait, I’m spending a week of my summer to do WHAT?! That’s right. Nine hour work days out in the Southern Texas sun. Did we bring enough sunscreen, hats, and water? Maybe. We’ll find out by Thursday, but the hardships do not outweigh the mission. If I am able to spend a week of my summer changing the life of a family forever, I will. Why don’t I spend every week of the summer like this? If there is a time and a place for you to be in mission, no matter how great or small, to spread the love and charity of our faith, take it.

And the work isn’t easy. Sun is shining and our brows are sweating, scraping shingles, prying plywood, and taping tarpaper. Might I also add, no one has shown himself or herself to be above the work. Either we are breaking our backs on the roof or on the ground picking up the trash.

Alecia, our hostess, is gracious and funny, making our stay even more enjoyable. Wake up time is 6:15. No one will be complaining once we see the work we’ve accomplished.

- One Missioner, Timmy Clark...
























































































































No comments: